Healthy Chicken and Leek Filo Pie
Full to the brim of vegetables, this healthier alternative will be a new family favourite
- 500 gram chicken breast diced
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250 gram carrots diced
- 200 gram zucchini diced
- 150 gram peas
- 1/4 Leek finely chopped
- 250 gram potatoes diced
- 150 gram celery chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 10 sheets filo pastry thawed
1. Remove the filo pastry from the fridge and bring it to room temperature, covered with a damp tea towel. Preheat the oven to 200C°/180°C fan-forced. Grease a medium baking dish. Dice the free-range chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Finely slice the leek. Finely chop the carrot, potato, zucchini, onion, and celery. Peel and crush the garlic or use jar.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Coat the chicken pieces in flour and then add chicken in two batches, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
3. Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the carrot, zucchini, onion, potato and peas and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes covered, or until softened then add the leek.
4. Crumble the chicken stock cube (or use fresh chicken stock) into a medium jug and combine with the hot water (check the ingredients list for the amount) and add to the vegetables. Add the chicken back into the pan and the remaining plain flour. Mix well until combined and the mixture begins to thicken. Continue to cook covered for a few more minutes. Add more water if it starts to dry out too much.
5. Pour the vegetables and chicken into the baking dish. Spray each filo sheet with olive oil then scrunch each filo pastry sheet into a very loose ball and place on top of the pie. Repeat until the whole pie is covered, making sure not to overcrowd the pastry. Drizzle (or spray) with olive oil and place the pie in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the filo is golden and flaky.
6. Cut the chicken and leek pie into slices and divide between plates. Enjoy!