With so many kinds of milk flying around the marketplace, it is hard to decide which one to choose. Nut, rice, soy, coconut, goat, cow the list goes on.
My husband and I prefer to drink lactose-free/plant-based milk due to intolerances. We are not tied to one sort of milk and can vary between almond, oat and rice. The hardest part is buying enough for the week and lugging the heavy bags in the house which is why we find it easier to make our own milk that we know is fresh and natural.
There are some pros and cons of rice milk so it is very much a personal choice.
Here is our tried and tested recipe for rice milk in the thermomix that brings a light consistency without it being too heavy. You will be surprised at how quick and simple it is!
Thermomix Rice Milk Recipe
- Mill 180-200g brown rice on speed 9 for 2 minutes
- Add 1.2 to 1.4 litres of water
- 1 tbs of rice malt syrup
- dash of salt
- dash cinnamon
- dash vanilla essence
- 1 tbs of macadamia or coconut oil (both give different tastes)
- Cook at 60 degrees for 6 minutes on speed 4. Then 1-minute increasing speed 4-9
- Add 1 litre of water and then strain through a nut milk bag into a bowl (it sometimes helps to also have a strainer under the milk bag to squeeze the bag onto)
- Store in a container in the fridge