RecipeFit, Snacks

Healthy Muesli Cookies

DSC06094+copy - Healthy Muesli Cookies

This healthy muesli cookie recipe that I concocted while I was competing professionally and I still make most weeks. They are supercharged with oats and coconut with minimal added sugar and trans fats. Great for quick snacking and maintaining energy levels through the day. This is how you can make them.

Healthy Muesli Cookies

Ingredients

•     2 cups natural muesli
  •     1/4 cup oat bran
  •     2 tbs sesame seeds
  •     1/2 cup almond meal
  •     1 cup shredded coconut
  •     1/4 cup rice malt syrup
  •     2 tbs wheatgerm
  •     1 tsp cinnamon
  •     2 tbs golden syrup
  •     3/4 cup water
Method

1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees line a baking tray with foil (sprayed with canola) or baking paper

2.  In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients

DSC060911 - Healthy Muesli Cookies
3.  Add the golden syrup to a saucepan and add water, gently heat until bubbles form, stirring continuously, take off heat and add to dry ingredients. (Just add a little more water if not sticking, I find that each different muesli absorbs different amounts).

4.  Place on baking tray and bake for 30-40 mins until golden

DSC060971 - Healthy Muesli Cookies
5.  Great to freeze or keep in a container in the fridge.

Do you have a favourite healthy biscuit recipe or good old stock standard one you routinely cook?
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Lin October 26, 2011 at 11:48 am

Well it isn’t totally healthy but I quite often make this . It has no added fat (besides what’s in the milk) and although it’s a little high on sugar that can easily be reduced and the white flour replaced with wholemeal. I reduce the amount of cloves for personal taste. Lately i’ve been adding two eggs to up the protein (and reducing the milk to make the same quantity) as well as adding chopped organic dates (or raisins) and walnuts. Very yummy, especially when it’s warm (and you can add a ‘scraping’ of butter as a real treat).

• Reply amy b.s. October 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm

wow, these are healthy! and sound great!

• Reply Ironmum Karla October 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yes they are just through trial and error I guess, you can add dates, figs, sultanas anything you have in the pantry.
    Lin – your ontbijtkoek sounds yummy, and good on you for altering it so it is healthy! I will have to also try.

Amy – as healthy as can be and guilt free!

• Reply Chantelle {fat mum slim} October 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oh these look brilliant! Will definitely be giving them a whirl. Thanks for sharing. xc

• Reply Ironmum Karla October 27, 2011 at 2:28 am

Your welcome Chantelle, it is the first time I have actually measured it out but I think you get the gist of how to make. Basically just throw in as much dried fruit as you like!x

• Reply loulou October 27, 2011 at 11:52 am

Oh Miss Karla

How delish do these look – this is a keeper recipe for me too.

nice photos to make the reader see what it is all about – thank you for that.

have a wonderful day

loulou, from hereiamloulou blog

🙂

• Reply Ironmum Karla October 28, 2011 at 1:57 am

Thanks Loulou, yes hope to make the photos a little better over time.x

• Reply nrkp November 1, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hi Karla, Just catching up on my favorite blogs & I am also going to give these biscuits a try. I might need to throw in a few chocolate chips for the kids. KP

• Reply Anonymous November 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

Love it, will make the sometime this week x

• Reply My Top 20 Grocery List Staples February 16, 2016 at 2:23 pm

[…] fibre and protein with the added benefits of antioxidants. Throw it in your smoothie, bake healthy biscuits or grind into […]

• Reply superfoods and supplements February 24, 2016 at 5:11 pm

[…] the addition of my coconut roughs, nothing but healthy biscuits, wholesome dinners and protein packed lunches. this is mainly what I use (and olive leaf […]

• Reply What is the Best Nut to Eat and What are the Nutritional Differences Between Nuts? IRONMUM KARLA November 8, 2018 at 9:40 am

[…] included nuts into are my strawberry, goji berry crumble slice, cocao date chia seed balls and muesli biscuits,   * Of course, there are also the problems associated with nut allergies, so we need to be […]

• Reply What's a Healthy School Lunchbox Look Like? February 25, 2019 at 10:13 am

[…] Snack based on core food groups – pot of set yoghurt and homemade muesli slice […]