When motivation is low, yet it’s the end of the week and the vegetable draw is still full, my Mexican cauliflower rice and beans is a no brainer!
Made simply by using instant rice, a packet of taco seasoning and pantry staples, all you need to do is a little elbow work in prep and viola!
It is easy to adapt or change the ratio of cauliflower to rice in this dish. I usually combine all ingredients minus the rice for myself, then add the rice for the rest of the family.
A great dish to save for leftovers as it just tastes even better the next day!
Mexican Cauliflower Fried Rice and Beans
Mexican Cauliflower Rice and Beans
- 250 gram tomatoes diced
- 200 ml water
- 2 tsp garlic
- 250 gram sweet potato grated
- 200 gram zucchini grated
- 400 gram black beans rinsed
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 150 gram corn kernals
- 300 gram cauliflower processed
- 1 packet instant brown rice
- 200 gram cheese grated
- If you are not using instant microwave rice, add rice to a saucepan, with double the amount of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid is almost all absorbed, turn off heat, but leave covered with lid for approx. 10 mins, for steam to continue to cook rice.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil and onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the zucchini, sweet potato and cauliflower rice (see notes below). Cook until vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add the beans, corn and spice mix. Stir well adding the tinned tomatoes and cooked rice. Mix until everything is combined and cook until everything is heated through 3-5 minutes. Add in the cheese and cook until melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve individual portions.