Calling this recipe, a cake, really does it no justice.
With pineapple, carrots and naturally occurring sugars from the dates – this recipe is more than a cake – it is a healthy loaf made on wholemeal flour guaranteed to fill the nutritional void until mealtime. Ideal for snacks and lunchboxes, conjure the kids to get involved and share the love of baking this easy to make cake!
Pineapple and Carrot Hummingbird Cake Loaf
Pineapple and Carrot Hummingbird Cake
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup dried dates finely diced
- 4 tbs honey
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 3 whole free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups carrot grated
- .5 cup canned pineapple crushed
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and dice dates in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the egg, oil, vanilla, carrot, honey and pineapple with juice and mix to combine.
- Pour into a 10cm x 21cm (2-litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow cooling in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and spread with butter to serve.