Although these chocolate and zucchini muffins look very indulgent, they hide a little secret. These chocolatey treats contain no processed sugars or oils but it’s what you can’t see that matters. Grated zucchini and natural yoghurt give these muffins a rich texture without heaviness which makes a great snack for days on the run. Who knew you could have a serving of greens with your chocolate!
Rich and Velvety Chocolate and Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup pitted dates, diced or processed
- 2 x medium zucchinis, grated
- 2 x free-range eggs
- 2 x teaspoons bi-carb soda
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 x cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- choc chips for mixing in (optional)
How to Make
- Preheat fan forced oven to 180 degrees. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk rice malt, eggs, and vanilla. Add dates, yoghurt and stir to combine. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocao, bi-carb soda, and salt. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid mixture until just combined. (batter will be very thick) Fold in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips if desired.
- Divide batter between greased muffin cups and smooth tops. Bake muffins at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool muffins in tray 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Store in fridge or freezer.