It’s quite natural for our appetites to lessen during the summer months. We tend to turn to lighter meals and foods with a high water content such as salads and fruits.
Personally I look for quick meals that are easy to whip up after you have made the most of the longer daylight hours without compromising nutrition.
I love a good all in one meal and when peas and turmeric and teamed in a fritter, then it is undeniable combo!
Countless studies have shown that turmeric is a potent food medicine with curcumin being the key active constituent of turmeric. When consumed correctly turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory (hello, sore muscles and joints), modulates blood sugar levels, and is said to inhibit cancer cells at a molecular level. For optimal curcumin absorption, it’s necessary to combine the heated turmeric with good fats such as coconut oil, milk or olive oil. You will also want to add a dash of black pepper for the piperine molecule that enhances curcumin uptake and bioavailability.
Feta, Smashed Pea And Turmeric Fritters
2 cups frozen peas
2 free range eggs
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup water
50 gm feta cheese
2tsp grated turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
How to Make
- Steam peas in a microwave safe dish for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain well and mash with a potato masher – keep it kind of rustic
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Gradually adding the flour and water until combined. Add the peas, feta, turmeric and pepper and stir to combine.
- Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in a large non stick frypan over a medium heat. Carefully pour 4 x small 1/4 cup amounts into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate and cover with foil while you repeat with the remaining batter
- Serve with your favourite salad