Who doesn’t love a good granola to sprinkle on yogurt, fruit or simply nibble on for a quick snack?
This vanilla chai infused buckwheat granola is gluten free, has minimal sugars (free of dried fruit and refined sugars) but exuberating in nutritious seeds. Buckwheat may sound scary if you’re on a gluten-free diet. But despite its name, buckwheat is not wheat. It’s a seed rather than a grain and is gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Not only are they useful for those on gluten free diets but for the rest of us they are super high in B vitamins, fibre and modest amounts of protein.
Need I say more? It’s time to get cracking….
Vanilla Chai Buckwheat Granola
1 cup raw buckwheat
½ cup raw hazelnuts
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 tbs vanilla paste
2 x chai tea bags
1 tbs cinnamon
3 tbs coconut oil, melted
¼ cup pure maple syrup
How to Make
- Boil 1 litre of water and infuse 2 x chai tea bags for a couple of minutes in a jug. Leave aside
- Add the buckwheat, hazelnuts and seeds to a bowl. Remove the tea bags from the tea water and pour this over the seeds mixture, making sure there is enough water to cover the contents. Allow to soak overnight, covered on a bench and then rinse well.
- Added the rinsed granola mix to a bowl and stir through the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, spices and vanilla.
- On a greased and lined baking tray, evenly spread the granola mixture and bake for 1 hour or until golden at 150 degrees. Throughout this time be sure to turn the mixture gently with a spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container. Serve with milk, fruit and/or yoghurt.
This recipe appeared first on SUPworld magazine