Anzac Day is a very special time of reflection, with the aim to give all Australians the opportunity to honour the service and sacrifice of all those who have worn our nation’s uniform, including the more than 102,000 who have made the supreme sacrifice in the first world war…
Anzac biscuits are a customary Aussie tradition that is enjoyed all year round and it claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients (rolled oats, flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, butter, golden syrup, baking soda) do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.
They really are up there with meat pies, lamingtons and pavlova as Aussie icons.
Here is a version that still keeps the same great taste but with a lot less refined sugar and gluten-free.
Paleo Anzac slice
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoon rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
How to make
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a medium oven tray with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Combine all ingredients for the base in a large bowl, combining gently and press firmly into the prepared pan.
- Bake the base for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the topping.
- Bring the coconut milk to medium heat in a small saucepan and then add rice malt syrup and vanilla and bring it to a low boil, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, stirring frequently until it’s reduced by half.
- Once you have reduced the coconut milk to about 2/3’s remove from the heat.
- Pour 1/2 of the condensed coconut milk evenly over the base. Layer the shredded coconut, on top of the coconut milk and then pour the remaining 1/2 of condensed coconut milk over the final layer. Sprinkle the flaked coconut over this.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 mins on a cooling rack. Gently lift the parchment out of the pan and place bars on a cutting board and cut into squares.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.