Put your trusty slow cooker to work to produce this mouth-watering, melt in your mouth low sugar pulled pork recipe. With a little pre-effort, you will come home to a house full of aromas, ready to pop some pizzas in the oven.
Conventional pulled pork is ridiculously full of sugars due to the BBQ sauce component but with my version – you are relying on amazing flavours with spices that leave a lingering sweetness in your mouth.
You really can do whatever you like with this recipe or keep it simple and serve on the side with a plate of greens. Use the leftovers for upcoming meals or freeze for a dinner when you are lacking time.
If you can leave the meat in the fridge overnight to allow the flavours to infuse once the dry rub is on that is great, but not necessary.
Makes 2 pizzas (with enough pork for leftovers)
Low Sugar Pulled Pork Pizzas With Mango
1kg piece pork neck or pork shoulder (usually with bone)
½ cup stock or broth
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic or 2 tsp minced garlic
½ 440ml can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp rapadura OR brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon fennel seeds
For the Pizza
2 x thin crust pizza bases or wraps
½ mango, roughly chopped
½ cup diced capsicum
4 tablespoons tomato pesto for the base
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup spinach leaves, finely chopped
How to Make
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, place the garlic and pour in the stock, vinegar and diced tomatoes.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl, grinding the fennel seeds as you mix. Pat the pork dry with paper towels, remove the string (if it is a rolled shoulder) and rub the spice mixture all over the pork. (It is here you let it sit overnight or at least 2 hours if you have the time to infuse)
- Prior to cooking, rub the olive oil into the meat and sear it in a hot frypan until brown all over.
- Place the meat on top of the garlic and sauce. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Once cooked, remove the pork from the slow cooker. Remove the fat from the outer.
- Using two forks pull the meat apart, shred it into pieces, add the pork back to the slow cooker with the sauce and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Strain pork before adding to pizza
- Spread pesto over pizza bases, then add the pulled pork, mango, capsicum, and cheese and bake in fan-forced over for 10-12 minutes at 160 degrees.
- Sprinkle baby spinach just before serving (don’t bake)