These bars are a healthy revamp of the sugar-laden LCM bars. Great for school lunches and after school snacks, they are light and great to hold over appetites until dinner!
Using rice malt syrup (low in fructose) and dates instead of refined sugar makes these appealing to the sweet tooth in all of us.
Low Sugar Rice Puff Bars
4 cups puffed rice (Freedom Foods)
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ cup pitted dates, which have been soaking in ½ cup water overnight. You can speed this process up by simmering over low heat until mushy with ½ cup water
¼ cup rice malt syrup
¼ cup of coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE
- Remove the dates from the water they have been soaking or simmering in and mash until it forms a smooth paste-like consistency. Place to the side.
- Over a low heat melt the rice malt syrup and coconut oil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla
- Pour the syrup mixture over the mashed dates and stir until smooth and begins to thicken.
- In a bowl mix, the puffed rice and sesame seeds then pour the date syrup over and gently fold through
- Press into a grease paper-lined tray or roll into logs with cling wrap lining a sushi roller.
- Place in fridge until set and cut into squares or logs. Store in fridge or freezer.