I have been working on perfecting this sugar free lemon cheesecake slice for a few weeks now. This comes after my daughter tasted something similar at a mountain café at the top of Currumbin Valley… she has been asking for lemon slice ever since.
My husband enjoys these experimental mashups and even though he has given thumbs up to each one so far, I still wasn’t 100% happy. This one is the bomb… If you like the taste (or memory) of lemon cheesecake then this is the slice for you.
When I say sugar free I do mean refined sugar free – there is still small amounts of natural sugar from the dates in the base plus the fructose rice malt syrup in the lemon topping. All is good and something you shouldn’t feel guilty for having in controlled portion.
Sugar Free Lemon Cheesecake Slice
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 dates
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- 6 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tsp coconut butter
- 3 tsp rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3tsp arrowroot to help thicken
- just a smidgen of turmeric (this is just for colour not taste)
- Process the ingredients for the base together
- Using a small tray, line it with parchment paper. Press down the base filling using another piece of parchment paper on top and using the base of your fists to even out.
- If your coconut oil and coconut butter is hard, melt this first (you live somewhere colder than 16 degrees?)
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and process until combined
- Evenly pour the topping over the base.
- Place into the fridge or freezer until set.
- Cut into square shapes and delight!