Life gets overwhelming – there’s so much to see and do and places to be… And times that by 3!
There’s certainly a fine balance in life, and once you overstep that threshold in creeps stress, anxiety, fear and panic. It’s OK on days to feel so busy you’re about to burst, as long as you are feeling in control and not allowing these times be of detriment.. Plus you can recognise these times and know how to pull in the reigns.
My personality actually prefers to be ‘unbusy’, (which may be hard to believe for some), and if there are too many tasks that are taking me away from my core goals and duties then I begin to feel a little frantic. I have learnt over time that the easiest way to regroup is to just give myself a 10-15 minute moment of calmness to carry on with my day.
Back in the day of professional Ironwoman competition, my best friend was a set of headphones and a tape (remember those days), with guided relaxation tracks. It really was the only way I could block out the pressures of racing and expectations and allow the control to return to me. It was all a bit ‘hippy like’ back then and only those close to me knew, but the great news is that it is becoming more and more mainstream. There are some great apps to help you tap into your mind and create some space of clarity and purpose.
If you’re kids or boss are stressing you out or perhaps you have a deadline to meet – If you find it hard to fall asleep at night or just need a moment to yourself, I guarantee you will feel the benefits of giving yourself a 10 minute break. Sure, it may take a few run throughs before you get the hang of it, but the more you practice (like anything) the easier it will be for you to return to this feeling of serenity.
Create some time in your day, where you can escape the noise (that means the noise in your mind also) and unwind. That 10 minutes you were going to catch up on social media could be better spent…
5 Apps to Help You Create Head Space and Calm
1. Take a Break – This free App has options to buy other options – but I like the simple free version of Take a Break which offers a quick 7 min or stress relief 13 minute guided meditation. You can also choose your background music to suit your mood.
2. Calm – This is another free app that gives you 7 sessions to unwind and enjoy the feeling of calm. Available in android also.
3. Headspace – This is my favourite. The 10 minute sessions is presented in a cool, fun way and the first 10 are free.
4. Stop, Breathe and Think – With this app, you can develop and apply kindness and compassion in your daily life through a process called STOP, BREATHE & THINK. It also has a section on how to meditate which is great for beginners.
5. Mindfulness I & II – These are both great apps – and are part of a bundle I bought with a couple of other meditation apps. Lots of options to suit your mood and how much time you can afford.
Try it today, once you make the conscious decision to add this to your life, it will bring big rewards