Zucchini may not be your thing.. I get that BUT before you go let me say these zucchini fries are the absolute bomb.
I first saw the recipe in Pete Evans cookbook but have made a small adjustment by using coconut flour instead of almond meal. I tend to eat a handful of almonds during the day so instead of abusing and overdoing my nut intake (and to maintain a healthy omega 3/6 balance) I made the sway. Coconut is more stable under high heat also which is what is needed in this recipe.
- 1 egg
- 125ml almond milk, rice or nut milk
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 large zucchini’s, sliced lengthways and about 1 cm thick
- coconut oil for frying
How to Make
- Whisk the egg in a bowl with the coconut milk and until combined
- Place the arrowroot and coconut flour in separate small bowls but wide enough to lay zucchini’s.
- The process is to individually roll a zucchini piece in the arrowroot, then dip in the egg, then the roll in the coconut flour. Don’t worry too much about them looking pretty.
- Heat some coconut oil in a fry pan over medium heat (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). Place batches of the zucchini fries in the pan and cook for approx. 2 mins each side until they turn lovely golden and crisp. Remove from pan with tongs and rest on a paper towel and repeat until all done.
Enjoy with your evening meal or as a healthy snack!