Once gluten goes from your life, it’s nice to know that there are options that can take the hankering for bread right out of the picture! For me, I feel better when I choose gluten-free so it’s in my best interest to go about this way of eating.
There are other ways to enjoy whole foods and this version of seed loaf ticks all the boxes. I kept my version nut free and yeast free so it is quite simple to make and doesn’t require a lot of preparation. Personally I can tolerate oats/oat bran as part of a gluten-free diet but if this is a problem for you look out for gluten-free oats.
Seed loaf is quite dense so I only really eat one slice at a time accompanying a light salad with some avocado or vegemite (or together). With a range of super healthy fats and nutrients, this bread will stabilise your blood sugars and help quit any afternoon sugar cravings.
Scrumptious Seed Loaf
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free self- raising flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon rapadura sugar or 2 tbs rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 cups of water
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line and spray a loaf tin with oil spray.
- Place the oats, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds into a bowl (feel free to toast these prior to bring out more nuttiness in the flavour)
- Add the psyllium husk, chia seeds, coconut oil, sugar, salt and water to the bowl with the seeds. Stir to combine and allow the mixture to sit on your benchtop covered with a tea towel for at least 1 hour to allow the chia seeds and psyllium husk to absorb the moisture from the water. It will I promise!
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin loaf, ensuring it is evenly spread
- Bake for 30 minutes and then remove the loaf from the tin, flip and bake (paper removed) for another 30 minutes or so until it appears golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store in fridge in an airtight container.