Gone are the days when you used to rely on oranges to get you through a head cold or help boost immunity. Yes, the humble orange still holds it’s own weight but we are finding out more and more about other superfoods that can help with immunity, inflammation and have powerful antioxidant qualities to fight free radicals in the body.
The camu camu fruit ticks all these boxes!
The Camu Camu fruit contains a higher naturally occurring vitamin C known content than any other food (up to 25 times more than an orange). Native to the Amazon the Superfood fruit is rich in nutrients, calcium and Vitamin A as well as antioxidant Vitamin C. In a nutshell it has great anti-viral properties.
It’s easiest for us in Australia to source camu camu in a freeze dried powder form (I use Bioglan)
I find it helpful when there is a head cold doing the rounds in the family and like to add it to my morning superfood smoothie. Another way you can try it is by making frozen yoghurt. Here is the recipe…
Mango and Camu Camu Frozen Yoghurt
– 500g frozen mango cubes (if possible use fresh mangos, cut up into cubes and freeze overnight)
– 2 tsps Bioglan SuperFoods Camu Powder
– 2 tbsps honey
– Fresh mint
– 250g natural yoghurt
1. Place frozen mango cubes in food processor and blend till smooth.
2. Add Camu powder, honey, mint and yoghurt and blend until you have a smooth consistency.
3. Serve immediately as soft frozen yoghurt, or divide into iceblock moulds and freeze for later.
Recipe via Bioglan Superfoods